- First read the abstract.
- Then jump to the discussion/conclusion. These sum up the article and will help you determine if you want to invest any more time in the article and read the whole thing.
- Then jump back to the beginning and read the introduction where the author will reveal how he/she will approach the subject. By this time you should have a good feel for what the articles is about.
- Then skim the body of the article that includes the finer details of the research and includes headings such as methods, results, data.
- Then re-read the article again in chronological order. Reading the article twice will help you understand the article.
- Finally, look at the Bibliography to track down other relevant articles.
For more information, see the following video.